Home Forums (SAMFL) Learning Activity: Pet Handling Discussion and Practice (SAMFL) Learning Activity: Pet Handling Discussion and Practice Reply To: (SAMFL) Learning Activity: Pet Handling Discussion and Practice

• Traci

January 17, 2024 at 6:08 am

What did you learn that was new to you?: Methods for having a dog sit.

How did the dog respond to your approach?: I practiced on my own dog. He was lying on the bed (human bed) and followed me with his eyes but did not lift his head or change his body position.

What facial expression, postures or gestures did you notice, and how did you interpret them?: My dog was tired and maybe a little bored lying on my bed so he didn’t have much of an expression but he did follow me with his eyes, so he was engaged or intrigued with whatever I was doing.

If you are experienced in canine behavior and handling, what aspects of the material do you feel are most essential?: Approach methods and body language are most essential, in my opinion. I also appreciate the mention of not giving treats/excessive treats.

Do you have a story about an experience with behavior and handling that exemplifies the importance of proper equipment and handling?: One of our training dogs was nervous and would hide in the back of her kennel if someone approached. My boyfriend was trying to get her our to take on a walk outside so he reached into the kennel with the slip lead and the dog peed and bit his hand. Later in the day, I was able to coax her out and put on the slip lead to guide her outside by sitting about 10 feet away with the kennel door open. I had to sit for about 20 minutes for her to come to me. I let her sniff my feet and retreat and return as much as she needed, and then I was able to place the lead over her head while I was petting her neck.