Home Forums (SAMFL) Learning Activity: Pet Handling Discussion and Practice (SAMFL) Learning Activity: Pet Handling Discussion and Practice Reply To: (SAMFL) Learning Activity: Pet Handling Discussion and Practice

• Alexis

July 29, 2023 at 8:00 pm

-What did you learn that was new to you?

I learned to effectively read a dog’s body language before approaching it. I look for offensive /positive behavior such as having the ears forward, tail is relaxed or wagging, and the dog seems comfortable in my presence. I was able to observe a canine massage first hand where the masseuse gently guided the dog to the floor before she started her therapy session. The dog seemed very comfortable and willing to let her massage him.

<em style=”background-color: var(–bb-content-background-color);”>-How did the dog respond to your approach?

The dog responded well, exhibiting positive behavior (no hackles, growling, etc.)

<em style=”background-color: var(–bb-content-background-color);”>-What facial expression, postures or gestures did you notice, and how did you interpret them?

<em style=”background-color: var(–bb-content-background-color);”>There were no visual avoidance, body seemed very relaxed, and the dog was allowing tactile touching without incident.

-If you are experienced in canine behavior and handling, what aspects of the material do you feel are most essential?

Most essential aspects are being able to recognize when an animal is under stress or is uncomfortable. This behavior can cascade into a serious, potentially harmful situation that can be avoided reading body cues.

-Do you have a story about an experience with behavior and handling that exemplifies the importance of proper equipment and handling?

A colleague of mine did not understand the importance of understanding behavioral body cues and was unfortunately bit in the face after she faced a large dog head on, looked him in the eyes, and leaned her face in to say hi to him. He was nervous and holding his ears back and tucking his tail.

-How has knowing how to read dog behavior kept you and the dog(s) safe?

I have worked with animals for 15 years and have only been hurt once because I understand when it is appropriate and inappropriate to approach and handle a dog or cat. Sometimes it is inevitable to avoid a bite or scratch but most of the time you can avoid it by practicing safe judgement.