Home Forums (SAMFL) Learning Activity: Pet Handling Discussion and Practice (SAMFL) Learning Activity: Pet Handling Discussion and Practice Reply To: (SAMFL) Learning Activity: Pet Handling Discussion and Practice

• Emma

April 25, 2024 at 5:30 pm

What did you learn that was new to you?

Using one arm and wrapping it around the chest of the dog, while placing my forearm behind the dog’s hock to help guide them into a sitting position.

How did the dog respond to your approach?

When trying to approach the dog from the side, the dog proceeded to freeze, but continued to keep his eye on me. When I asked for the dog to sit, the dog stared at me blankly, so I proceeded to kneel down beside him and once the patient was comfortable with me, I placed one arm around the chest and the other arm behind the hocks and encouraged the dog to sit. At first the dog was a bit confused, but once in the sitting position I positively reinforced the dog with a “good boy” and received a tail wag in return.

What facial expression, postures or gestures did you notice, and how did you interpret them?

The dog I tried the approach on was very nervous. The dog was lip licking a lot, pacing/trying to turn in circles, the patient was panting a lot and had his ears pulled back. I could tell the dog was nervous, so prior to approaching him I allowed the dog to roam the exam room and get used to me by allowing him to smell me and smell the room.

If you are experienced in canine behaviour and handling, what aspects of the material do you feel are most essential?

Knowing and understanding canine and feline body language and how to respond appropriately.

Do you have a story about an experience with behaviour and handling that exemplifies the importance of proper equipment and handling?

Working in emergency, sometimes we get so caught up in trying to get things done in a timely manner that we forget the importance of watching a dog’s behaviour/posture before restraining an animal for an injection. A coworker of mine was assisting a doctor by restraining a dog for an IM injection. The dog’s ears were pulled back, his tail was tucked and he was giving my coworker the side eye. Both the doctor and my coworker were in such a rush that they decided to give the dog the IM injection and when the injection was given the dog reacted and turned to bite my coworker. If my coworker and doctor took a bit more time to observe the patient, they may have considered muzzling the dog to protect them both from being bitten.

How has knowing how to read dog behaviour kept you and the dog(s) safe?

It has allowed me to know when a dog is requiring a break before the dog reaches its breaking point and tries to bite people.