Home Forums (SAMFL) Activity Three: Dog Handling Observations and Discussion (SAMFL) Activity Three: Dog Handling Observations and Discussion Reply To: (SAMFL) Activity Three: Dog Handling Observations and Discussion

• Emma

April 26, 2024 at 8:39 am
    • Did you observe good handling practices when dogs were being leashed and/or walked? Describe your personal observations.
    • Describe two examples of how awareness was utilized by a handler.
    • Describe two examples of how positioning was utilized by a handler.
    • Give two examples of how contact with the dog was used in the handling.

For this assignment I decided to take my friend and her dog on a hike. Throughout the hike I was able to witness the different techniques and mechanisms my friend uses to ensure that both her and her dog remain safe when hiking a busy trail.

Throughout the entire hike my friend remained extremely aware of her dog, as well as her surroundings. When starting the hike my friend had her dog leashed and walking alongside her as she was aware that there was a lot of people and pets near the trail head. Once we were further up the trail and no one was around, my friend let her dog roam off leash, but made sure that her dog was within 10 feet from us at all times. When being approached by a fellow hiker, my friend recalled her dog to her side and leashed her dog before the hiker reached us. My friend is aware that not all people like dogs, and that the fellow hiker may also have a dog with them that we are unable to see.

When passing a fellow hiker, my friend ensures that her dog is leashed and at a heal. My friend would position herself, so that her dog is on her right side and that she is between her dog and the hiker that is passing by, as she is aware that not everyone likes dogs. Continuing up the hike, we passed several hikers with dogs. When passing a fellow hiker with a dog, my friend walks her dog off to the side of the trail and places her dog in a sit. She then positions herself in front of her dog to ensure that her dog is paying attention to her and not the fellow hiker and their dog.

During the entire hike, my friend uses positive reinforcement when her dog achieves the desired behaviour through the use of treats, verbal praise, toys (specifically his favourite ball) and head pats.