Home Forums (SAMFL) Activity Three: Dog Handling Observations and Discussion (SAMFL) Activity Three: Dog Handling Observations and Discussion Reply To: (SAMFL) Activity Three: Dog Handling Observations and Discussion

• Rebecca

August 21, 2020 at 1:22 pm

I did see good handling practices when dogs were being leashed and/or walked by the instructor. He was able to assert himself and let the doberman know it wasn’t in charge. He also let the pet struggle with the leash when it didn’t listen to him. Which man the dog look to him for answers.
    I saw awareness used by a handler when they were unable to get the St. Bernard to walk with the palm concept with the use of bait and the instructors advice. I also saw awareness when the owners were learning how to back up and turn putting the dog in the middle making easier for judges to do their job.
    I saw position used by the handler when he lifted the feet of the Boston and placed them where they should go automatically making the dogs stance look great. Also when the handler walked backwards and had a treat in one hand to be able to make the pet do fast stance.
    I observed contact with the dog with the command head straight. To help make clear that the instructor was in charge. I also noted contact with the leg positioning for the stance and to fix any stance problems.