(SAMFL) Activity Three: Dog Handling Observations and Discussion

Home Forums (SAMFL) Activity Three: Dog Handling Observations and Discussion (SAMFL) Activity Three: Dog Handling Observations and Discussion

• erin

June 1, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Dog Handling Workshop with Eric Salas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Msr4D4sxs

During the video dog owners were being taught how to train and handle their dogs for show. The doberman was being walked/run by its owner on a tight lead. Owner was using large movements and tugs in attempt to control the dog. Verbal ques and hand signals were not used. The dog was rejecting being led. When Eric took the lead he used a relaxed arm and loose lead. finger taps on the lead and verbal cue followed by had jesters were used to correct the dog. After multiple rehearsals the dog was able to perform as he was being asked.
    Being aware of your body language is most important when handling dogs. Mini movements can signal big things for a dog, this was highlighted when Eric showed the owners that having hands apart with a treat in one hand verses having hands together with the treat changes the dogs ability to focus.
    The owners were trained on how to stack their dogs for presentation and also used the command head straight while adjusting the dogs head to position the dogs. Other contact that was used was bumping and a push back to correct the dog when it was not behaving in a desired way.

• Rebecca

August 21, 2020 at 1:22 pm

I did see good handling practices when dogs were being leashed and/or walked by the instructor. He was able to assert himself and let the doberman know it wasn’t in charge. He also let the pet struggle with the leash when it didn’t listen to him. Which man the dog look to him for answers.
    I saw awareness used by a handler when they were unable to get the St. Bernard to walk with the palm concept with the use of bait and the instructors advice. I also saw awareness when the owners were learning how to back up and turn putting the dog in the middle making easier for judges to do their job.
    I saw position used by the handler when he lifted the feet of the Boston and placed them where they should go automatically making the dogs stance look great. Also when the handler walked backwards and had a treat in one hand to be able to make the pet do fast stance.
    I observed contact with the dog with the command head straight. To help make clear that the instructor was in charge. I also noted contact with the leg positioning for the stance and to fix any stance problems.

• LOLA

Administrator
    October 8, 2020 at 8:36 pm

Good work, sounds like you have lots of opportunities for observations.

• Chris

March 28, 2021 at 12:16 pm

I watched YouTube videos on dog handling, leash training, and agility training. Most of the handlers displayed proper leash techniques. I observed one handler slowing down while walking the dog which seemed to confuse the dog. That same handler allowed the dog to pull on the leash and provided treats to the dog while tension was on the leash. The dog may not have lost focus if the handler had remained consistent with his pace and not slowed down. The handler should also not provide treats to the dog while tension in the leash is present. The handler should only provide treats when the dog when the dog is displaying the correct behavior and not pulling on the leash. The handler had difficulty with the dog not pulling on the leash and staying by his side.
    During another YouTube video I observed a handler’s first agility training lesson with their dog. The handler introduced their dog to weave poles and jumps. The dog was interested in the weave poles. The handler was aware that the weave poles were foreign to the dog and let the dog have ample time getting used to the poles before having the dog engage with the poles. The handler gave the dogs treats as the dog progressed through the weave poles for a positive reward. The handler positioned the dog at the start of the of the weave poles and conditioned dog to understand the starting point by using positive reinforcement and treats. I thought the dog did really well the first-time using weave poles. The handler let the dog make mistakes and corrected those mistakes with the dog redoing the weave poles and being given treats when the dog was able to get through the weave poles correctly.

• Alexis

July 30, 2023 at 7:33 pm
    • Did you observe good handling practices when dogs were being leashed and/or walked? Describe your personal observations.
    • Describe two examples of how awareness was utilized by a handler.
    • Describe two examples of how positioning was utilized by a handler.
    • Give two examples of how contact with the dog was used in the handling.

I went to the park today and watched an owner handle leash training while around other people. When a human was approaching, the owner told the dog to stay next to him while the person walked by. The dog started to lean towards the person and the owner gently tugged back on the leash and said “sit”. The dog sat as directed and the owner gave him a treat promptly. The owner/handler was aware that the person was approaching and prepared to have his dog be curious towards the stranger. The stranger passed then the owner had the dog stand on his opposite side away from the foot traffic. Positioning the dog to his other side gave the dog less opportunity to pull away from the owner and to have less distractions. Another person walked by and the dog was walking next to the owner and the owner was saying “good” and giving him treats when he did not veer off the intended goal of walking without being distracted. The owner/handler was aware of his surroundings and objects approaching and was prepared for the dog to react and/or abide by his commands. The owner then had the dog sit first then positioned him to his other side to see if that would be better accepted. contact with the dog was positively reinforcing his behavior was he sat when being told and not being distracted by the second stimulus.

• Amanda

February 26, 2024 at 8:20 pm
    • Did you observe good handling practices when dogs were being leashed and/or walked? Describe your personal observations.
    • Describe two examples of how awareness was utilized by a handler.
    • Describe two examples of how positioning was utilized by a handler.
    • Give two examples of how contact with the dog was used in the handling.

I watched a YouTube video on dog agility presented by McCann Dogs Agility. The presenter had excellent handling practices with off leash dogs. A combination of a favorite toy and treats presented in a timely manner helped guide the dog in the mannerisms preferred by the instructor.

The instructor was incredibly aware of the dog. She was able to change her teaching methods to accommodate for the speed and age of the dog. She utilized fencing, poles, her own body speed, and differing epic commands combined with precise hand and body movements to adapt the dogs preferred movements to the movements needed to be successful for jumping in agility.

The instructor forced the new dog to position himself correctly for the jump with several methods. The older dog only needed a pole to help guide her position. The younger dog needed fencing and to slow the entire process down and be taught in a piecemeal fashion. This made the dog square up and slice nicely.

The instructor made sure to praise the dog immediately when the desired reaction was achieved. She did this by whatever means the dog accepted as high praise. With a favorite toy, a high value treat, or lots and lots of pets.

• Nikki

March 26, 2024 at 9:58 am

I watched several YouTube videos for this exercise. The first video was of how to walk a reactive dog past another dog. They showed the reactive dog (RD) lunging towards the other dog. They showed the handler pulling the dog away and forcing the dog forward. The handler seemed to want to pretend that the situation was not happening. The dog was fixated on the other dog and never broke its gaze. To change this behavior, the next handler noticed the RD’s interest perk when it saw the other dog. This handler changed directions repeatedly to bring the dog’s attention and focus away from the other dog.

The next video I watched was for preparing to show your dog. All of the dogs in this video were quite well behaved already. The handlers positioned the collar at the top of the neck and kept the dog’s attention mostly with treats. The dogs were very engaged with their handlers and fixated on them. The handlers were also very engaged with their dogs and used their hands and body position to move the dog to the desired location and conformation. When they needed both hands they put the treat lure in their mouth. The handlers sometimes also used verbal cues to position the dog.

At one point in this video they showed a dog that was clearly in a defensive stance when on the judging table. The instructor put the dog on the ground and it started to scream and growl. The instructor kept a hand on the collar/leash and made a point to keep it straight as to not restrict the airway or to risk a bite. He was calm and repeated “AAAAAh” each time the dog screamed or growled. The dog eventually calmed down and they put him back on the table. The instructor said “this dog is desperate for a leader – that’s why he’s testing me.” Eventually the instructor was able to gain the dog’s trust and he pet him under the jaw and behind the head while giving him treats. The dog never left the defensive stance, however – his tail was tucked the entire time. It seemed like the dog was just trying to go somewhere else in his mind until it was over. The instructor then walked the dog. He had a long, loose leash and had his hand (with the leash in it) visible to the dog. At first the dog was far away from the instructor. As the instructor moved back and forth the dog paid more attention to him and got closer with a loose leash.