Special Projects: Book Report & Case Study Assignment
IF YOU ENROLLED PRIOR TO 1/1/2018 PLEASE COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING ASSIGNMENT or IF YOU PREFER TO COMPLETE THE CASE STUDY PROJECT IN LIEU OF A BOOK REPORT, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR DISTANCE LEARNING INSTRUCTOR FOR PERMISSION TO DO SO. IF YOU ENROLLED ON OR AFTER 1/1/2018 DISREGARD THIS PROJECT AND SEE THE CASE STUDY PROJECT AT THE END OF THE ASSIGNMENTS SECTION.
As part of your preparation for the practicum, select a book from the recommended reading list or choose a book and request permission from your distance-learning instructor to use that title. After reading the book, write a summary of the book addressing the points listed. The paper MUST be submitted through the submission page (see next page) before the practicum. The purpose of this assignment is to help you:
1. identify outside sources of information
2. relate information on other animal subjects to the practice of massage
3. relate that information to a third party (in this case your instructor, but potentially a client or caregiver)
In your own words, write your paper using one of the books listed in the recommended reading list below or an approved title. The paper should be approximately 3-5 pages in length, typed in 12 point, Times New Roman font or similar. The report should include at least one example of supporting documentation: charts, photographs, illustrations or other study aids of your choice.
The following items must be included:
- Cover Page: Your name, the current date, the title of the book, author’s name, section or chapter of the book you are writing about, and also include the words Foundation Level (or Level 100) Special Project
- Table of Contents (the outline of your paper which may also include the Table of Contents of the book you are reporting on.)
- Introduction (one to two paragraphs)
- Chapter or Book Summary
- Discussion of the how the information relates to animal massage therapy as a whole
- Discussion of how you will use the information in your own massage work/interaction with animals in your life
You must complete and submit this Special Project before you arrive at the practical. Submission is easy to do on the next page.
If you would like to write your paper on a book not listed on the recommended reading list, please submit the title, author, and table of contents to your instructor for approval before beginning your report. If you prefer, you may arrange with your distance learning instructor to present this assignment orally.
Special Project Recommended Reading List
The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
The Dog’s Mind: Understanding Your Dog’s Behavior by Bruce Fogle
The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell
The Hidden Life of Dogs by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas
The Tribe of the Tiger by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas
Job’s Body: A Handbook for Bodywork by Deane Juhan (pick a single chapter)