Introduction to Large Animal Massage
Introduction to Large Animal Massage: Foundation Level
This material has been developed both as a prerequisite to the five-day Large Animal Massage practical offered by the Northwest School of Animal Massage (NWSAM) and for use in our online and classroom-based course. While we use the horse as a model for the large animal studies, most techniques and concepts learned here are applicable to other livestock (llama, goats, cows…).
As a distance-learning student, it is important that you first become familiar with the information and concepts included in this program, both in this iTeachers online format and the supplemental materials that accompany the course. Combined with the hands-on workshop, it is designed to be the equivalent of our classroom-based course.
By offering this alternative means of study, we hope to make the course more accessible to people with varying backgrounds and schedules, while still achieving a high level of learning.
At the beginning of each of the five chapters of this course, you will find the following guidelines to help you in the learning process.
- Learning Objectives (what you will learn in the section)
- Core Abilities (general areas of expertise you will develop)
- How the information will improve your massage
- Learning Activities – How to check your readiness to take the test
- Practicum Readiness – Competencies you will be able to perform
- Performance Assessment Tasks – the activities you will complete and submit at the end of the chapter
- Instructions to Students (study guidelines)
- How to use online services
- How to use the DVD/video in your learning/studying
- Suggested readings
This is YOUR Course
Now take some time to think about how you can best support yourself in your studies.
- Do you need to plan a calendar for yourself? Determine the times and days for your study?
- Do you have a comfortable place to study free of distractions and with good lighting?
- Is there some form of support you might ask of a friend or family member, such as reminders, time to study, or encouragement?
We hope these guidelines will be useful in making our information and expectations clear and help you organize and optimize your studying, so you can be prepared to take full advantage of your learning.
We are here for YOU
You will be assigned a course instructor, trained to answer your questions and provide you guidance as needed. Please do not hesitate to contact your instructor with questions. You can send messages through iTeachers by clicking on the envelope icon in the top bar, which also go to the person’s email. Messages to you will appear in the same way. It’s easy to stay connected and ask about anything that needs attention or clarification throughout your studies.