Lesson 1, Topic 1
About This Chapter Copy
Guidelines for Study
By studying this chapter, you will be able to
- Understand key elements of horse handling.
- Recall safety considerations for handling from the ground, tying, etc.
- Identify equipment you will use and/or should be aware of.
- Discuss equine senses.
- Explain herd behavior and predator/prey considerations.
- Recognize body language. What are they trying to tell you?
- Name grooming basics you should know as a professional in the field.
- Define destructive habits: considerations for massage.
- Demonstrate introductory knowledge of breeds and disciplines.
How This Information Will Improve Your Massage
- It will help keep you and the horse safe!
- Confidence in your safety will help keep you relaxed and grounded.
- You will be better able to interpret and analyze the needs of the horse.
- You will be able to educate the guardian about issues that may affect the horse’s well-being and the success of the massage.
- The horse’s guardian will have confidence in your professionalism.
This lesson will help you develop your abilities to
- Think critically and creatively
- Communicate effectively
- Act professionally, humanely and safely
- Write clearly and concisely