Course Catalog
Contact Us

Please review the common questions we receive.  If you don't see the answer, then click on the last question to send us your own inquiry.

  • What job opportunities are available to graduates of the Northwest School of Animal Massage? What is the career outlook for animal massage therapists? What is the expected income?

    Graduates go into private practice, work in clinics or hospital settings and even hydrotherapy centers.  Other popular places of employment include grooming salons, doggy daycares and equestrian centers.  Some practitioners specialize by working at racetracks or in particular disciplines.  You can find detailed information here.

    back to top

  • Are there any classes in my area? Where do the 5-day practicals take place?

    Our distance learning program allows you to study at your own pace using our printed materials and email exchanges with your online instructor.  The 5-day practical is required for certification and gives you valuable hands-on experience.  Practicals are currently scheduled throughout the year in Lihue, HI; Kalamazoo, MI; Portland, OR; Redmond, WA; Vancouver, BC and Washington, DC.  New in 2011 the Northwest School of Animal Massage is very excited to announce that we will be holding classes in Kanab, UT at Best Friends Animal Society. 

    Please visit the Course Catalog for a complete listing of our practical locations.

    back to top

  • How long does the distance learning program take? When can I start?
    The distance learning program is a self-paced program and is required to be completed within 6 months from the day you enroll.  On average, students take 2-3 months to complete the at-home portion of the course.  Some students have completed the course in as few as 6 weeks.  You can begin the at-home portion of the course as soon as you receive the materials. 

    back to top

  • Do I need a human massage license before I can be licensed to massage animals?

    It varies from state to state, although most states are still unregulated. Washington State no longer requires that you either work under veterinarian supervision or that you have a human massage license in addition to your animal training.  You may now complete 300 hours of training to practice independently.  

    Check with your local legislature for updated information or call the office at 877.836.3703.  You can also visit the International Association of Animal Massage & Bodywork website (www.iaamb.org) and view the Animal Massage Laws by State chart and additional information on their site.

    back to top

  • What is the cost of the program?
    The large and/or small animal massage Distance Learning Certification courses cost $1900 for the foundation level (Maintenance Massage) and $1500 each for level 200 and 300 (Performance Massage and Rehabilitation Massage, respectively), plus $20 for shipping and handling of materials.  The practical costs $500, for a total of $2420 (Maintenance Massage course) or $2020 (Performance Massage and Rehabilitation Massage), including shipping.  The program costs include instruction, materials, and all associated fees.  Travel and lodging is not included.

    back to top

  • Can I make payments? Is there financing available?
    Yes.  You can review the details here

    back to top

  • What are the legal requirements for certification in animal massage in WA?

    Washington has three pathways for individuals to enter the animal massage profession. 

    If you are a Registered Veterinary Technician, you may provide animal massage under the supervision of a veterinarian upon completion of training (Level 100 course).

    If you are a Licensed Massage Practitioner, you may complete 100 hours of training in animal massage and practice independently.

    If you are an unlicensed individual, you must complete 300 hours of training (Level 100 and either Level 200 or Level 300) to practice independently.

    Anyone may provide animal massage services as a volunteer or without charge.  Animal Massage Practitioners by legal definition may not diagnose, prescribe or provide a prognosis for any condition.

    back to top

  • What is your class schedule?
    You may find our class schedule by clicking on the CATALOG button on the left-hand navigation bar on our website, or by clicking here.

    back to top

  • Are your classes available in other countries?
    Yes, students in any country may take our distance learning class.  We have graduates from all over the world.  Our practicals are available in the U.S. and Canada with plans to offer classes overseas in the future.  Classes can also be hosted anywhere in the world if you have a group of 6 or more.

    back to top

  • Do you have printed material you can send me?
    Please visit our contact page for more information.  Below the Inquiry area you will see links to downloadable copies of our brochure and course catalog.  If you are still in need of further assistance, please send us an email with your mailing address and we will gladly send you a printed copy of our catalog.

    back to top




Website Design by Montana Banana © Copyright 2004-2019 NWSAM, Privacy Policy
Follow us on Facebook Twitter Feed +1 Review us on Yelp Watch us on YouTube